Wednesday, June 29, 2011

"Yep, unhuh, yaaaa.."

Hi again!

So most of you know how annoyed I can get with stupid people. 4th year Harvard med students are no exception to this rule. Here's how my day began...

Woke up around 6am to get the T to MGH for Trauma Rounds at 8am. Basically we meet in the conference room and go over all patients that got referred due to trauma. They talked about how the people got injured and the treatment protocol for each. I found this really interesting. However, after each and every sentence I would hear, "oh yaaa...unhuh.... yeppp." I was trying to figure out where this absurd sound was coming from. I almost cracked off my neck looking around. So, I figured this needs some sort of strategy. I would pick a different person after each sentence and watch their mouth. Finally I found the culprit, a 4th year Harvard med student. The way her eye's went while she was saying the "yaaaa"s made me want to vomit. Just. So. Annoying.

Anyways, after trauma rounds we went to do normal rounds with Dr. W. All was well until Dr. W introduced the group to.... guess who? "Yaaaaa." For confidentiality sakes, I'll call her "Augusta." I have no idea what was going on in rounds because all I could hear was "Yaaa.. unhuh..yeppp." It turns out that I was not the only one who noticed this. After the 2nd or 3rd time on rounds, Dr. W kept looking at Augusta and did this thing with her eyes... as if to say "WTF are you doing with your voice?" Naturally I shit my pants laughing and had to turn away each time. The sweat was pouring off me so much that Dr. W asked if I was OK.

After rounds we got called to the cardiac intensive care unit to remove a patient off ventilation. The family had decided to terminate life support after a long and hard battle. It was certainly a tough thing to see for the first time. However, the family seemed relieved that their husband/father would not have to suffer any more.

Dr. W had meetings all after lunch so I decided to take an early day and come home, but of course not before seeing security guards tackle a crazy man in the main lobby. God I am nosey. I pretty much followed them to the emerg department until we got to the point where I couldn't go in. I need to give it up. Seriously.

Tomorrow morning is my first shift in the emergency room at Brigham and Women's... should be entertaining! I have to meet "Susan" in the lobby to get my big fat "Clinical Observer" badge before I go in. I also have to wear a shirt and tie. Awesome. I'll fit right in.

Good night everyone! And, happy anniversary to my wonderful parents! :)

Zack

No comments:

Post a Comment